Medical Information


     Basic Midway ISD procedures regarding the administration of medication at school:

    • All medication must kept in the school clinic.
    • All medication must be in the original container. All prescription medication must have the correct pharmacy label.
    • All medication administered at school must be accompanied by a Medication Administration Request Form. 
    • A physician's signature is required for any medication that needs to be administered for 10 days or more.

    Basic Midway ISD procedures specifically pertaining to asthma management:

    • Inhalers must have be in the original box or canister with pharmacy label attached.
    • Unit dose nebules for the nebulizer must be sent to school in the box with the pharmacy label.
    • The Asthma Medication Administration Request Form must be completed by the parent and physician including the Asthma Action Plan.



    Documents & Forms



    Student Voluntary Insurance

    Student Accident Insurance information can be found at



    Frequently Asked Questions

    What is considered a fever?

    If your child has a temperature of 100 degrees or higher, he/she is required to stay home until he/she is able to maintain a temperature of less than 100 degrees for 24 hours without the use of medication to do so.

    What if my child will need medication during the school day?

    Any child needing medication at school must have the proper form on file with the nurse. Medication that is to be given 10 days or less will require a daily note from the parent/guardian. Medication that will be given longer than 10 days will need a physician's form to be filled out (see link below) and signed by the parent. All medication must be in its original, labeled container.

    Can my child carry their asthma inhaler?

    In elementary school, your child's inhaler will be kept in the nurse's office. They may not keep it in their backpack.

    Can my child carry a pill to take at lunch or other times during the day?

    All medications to be taken at school must be kept in the clinic. A note from the parent must accompany all medicines, even over-the-counter medication.

    How will I know if my child needs an immunization?

    Contact your school nurse to verify due dates. State Law prohibits a child who is not up to date on their immunizations to be in attendance. Please send a copy of the shot record to the nurse before the due date.

    My child needs occasional medications for headaches or other conditions. Can I leave medication for the year to be given as needed?

    Yes. Medications may be left in the clinic for the duration of the year with a note from the physician signed by the parent.

    Can I just give the school permission over the phone to give my child a Tylenol or Motrin?

    Midway ISD does not purchase any medication for student use. Your child will only be given medications that are sent from home with proper documentation on file.

    Deeann Kleypas
    Coordinator of Health Services - Nurse RN