Midway ISD Social Workers:
- Bring unique knowledge and skills to the school system and the social services team.
- Are highly trained mental health professionals who can assist with mental health concerns, behavioral concerns, positive behavioral support, academic and classroom support, consultation with teachers, parents and administrators as well as provide individual and group supportive counseling.
- Enhance the district’s ability to meet the academic mission where home, school and community collaboration is the key to achieving student success.
What are some of the specific social services provided?
- Address obstacles that interfere with a child’s ability to perform in an academic setting through working with the student and/or family unit
- Provide supportive counseling (group, individual and/or family)
- Connect family, school, and community resources to enable the child to learn as effectively as possible in his or her educational program
- Develop and implement positive behavioral intervention strategies.
- Utilize BSW and MSW interns for supportive services from the Garland School of Social Work at Baylor University
SERVICES TO STUDENTS:
- Providing crisis intervention
- Develop and implement intervention strategies to increase academic success
- Assist with conflict resolution, anger management, social skill development, emotional regulation, grief, etc.
- Assess and referring students with mental health concerns
- Assist the child in understanding and accepting self and others
SERVICES TO PARENTS/FAMILIES:
- Communicate with the family to assess barriers to the child's educational performance
- Collaborate with parents/guardians to provide education, resources, and skills to enhance school attendance and success
- Connect parents and students to community resources to address the unique needs of students in Special Education and Section 504
SERVICES TO SCHOOL PERSONNEL:
- Provide staff with professional development and education to better understand the factors that affect student performance and behavior(trauma, poverty, family conflict, health disparities, culture, etc.)
- Assist teachers with purposeful interventions related to social, emotional and behavioral concerns
SERVICES TO COMMUNITY:
- Coordinate with community agencies to connect students and families to appropriate community resources
- Collaborate with outside agencies to provide trainings and workshops for parents and students related to mental health, parenting skills, and coping skills.
Social Service Office254-761-5678901 Old Hewitt RoadHewitt, TX 76712Hannah AbbeParent & Agency Liaison, District Social Worker 7-12th Grade, & Human Trafficking Liaisonext. 2862Brooke BakerParent & Agency Liaison, District Social Worker PreK-6th Grade, & PEP Facilitatorext.1106