Midway ISD Fine Arts Private Lesson Program
Supplemental fine arts private lessons are offered as enrichment to classroom instruction and are designed to utilize the broad scope of characteristic literature available for every instrument, voice or acting style. Rather than stress the singular goal of competition preparation, the emphasis instead is on nurturing the independent thinking and individual performance skills critical to the development of the maturing musician or actor. The focus is on acquiring refined levels of sight-reading/first-reading and technical proficiency in tandem with the attainment of an advanced sense of artistic instinct and interpretation. Individuals interested in becoming a private lesson instructor in the MISD FA PLP should complete an application packet.
Although optional, participation in the MISD FA PLP is encouraged and available to all students. Those who elect not to participate in supplemental private lessons will not be penalized in grading, chair placement, or band/choir/orchestra/theatre assignment.
Students Responsibility to the Private Teacher
- Prepare each lesson fully
- Follow attendance rules
- Provide documentation and exhibit evidence of practice
- Supply materials required by instructor
- Participate in all activities required as a condition of study
Private Teachers Responsibility to the Student
- To provide each student a quality private lesson which will contribute positively to the development and continual improvement of the student as a musician and performer.
- To instill an appreciation for each instrument(s)/vocal solo repertoire.
- To cultivate the desire within each student to make music a lifelong activity.
- To exhibit professional characteristics and demeanor in attitude, appearance, behavior and responsibility in every activity germane to private lesson instruction.
Lesson Location and Scheduling
- Lessons during the day will be taught in the school the student attends.
- The fine arts director of each school, in cooperation with the private instructor, will schedule lessons for the students who desire to participate.
- Lessons will be 22 1/2 minutes in length (1/2 of a 45 minute class period).
- It is recommended that the student receive a lesson each week.
- The cost of each lesson for the current school year is $20.00.
- Lessons may be scheduled during the student’s fine arts class or lunch period, and before or after school.
- No lessons will be scheduled during non-fine arts classes.
- It will be the responsibility of the student to notify his/her private lesson instructor at least twenty-four hours in advance if a lesson is to be cancelled unless, of course, a serious emergency arises. This courtesy is also the responsibility of the private lesson instructor if he/she must cancel a lesson.
- The school directors will aid the student in advising the supplemental music teacher of concerts, programs, holidays, etc., which would result in any interruption of the regular lesson schedule.
Payment will be made directly from student to private lesson teacher at the beginning of every month so as to pay one month in advance. Checks should be made payable to the individual private lesson teacher.
- Enrollment in the MISD FA PLP program is on a voluntary basis.
- Termination of lessons by the student, private lesson teacher, or fine arts teacher director will be accomplished by written notice to the student or teacher and the fine arts teacher.
- Private lesson teachers are assigned as requested by the student, if possible. In some cases, individual schedules will not allow the requested teacher.
- Questions concerning assignment of supplemental music teachers should be directed to your student’s fine arts teacher.
- Questions concerning lesson dates and times, or number of lessons taught, should be directed to your student’s private lesson instructor.