Eating DisordersEating disorders are common today, but frequently go undetected due to their secretive nature. It’s important to be aware of the signs and symptoms so that you can recognize you or someone close to you has abnormal eating patterns.What are types of eating disorders?
· Anorexia is a severe distorted perception of one’s physical appearance. This mindset leads to actions including: self-starvation and excessive exercise rooted in an intense fear of gaining weight.
· Bulimia is compulsive overeating leading to self-induced vomiting. Abuse of laxatives and diuretics is commonly used in an attempt to purge the body of food.What causes anorexia and bulimia?
· need for attention
· lack of self esteem
· high family expectations
· parental dieting
· family discord
· temperament - often described as the "perfect child”
· difficulty regulating mood
· more impulsive - sometimes with shoplifting, substance abuse, etc.
· sexual abuse
(Adapted from the DSM V)
Web Resources for Eating Disorders: