Spirit of Midway
Thanks to our SOM committee leaders who have carefully evaluated the SOM requirements. This committee was composed of administrators, parents and volunteers from MHS, Foundation & PTA. Please review the updated requirements & the NEW Spirit of Midway application before completing your SOM volunteer activities.
Specific questions about your volunteer activity should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to completing the volunteer service.
To qualify, a student must meet these 3 qualifications:
1. Grades: 80 or above in each class for the fall semester (multiplier does apply)
2. Campus Involvement: active Involvement in at least 2 Midway High School student organizations,
teams or clubs
3. UPDATED FOR 2018 - 2019: Voluntary Community Service Hours:
- 20 hours of community service required for 10 - 12th graders, but only 15 required for freshmen to qualify.
- All volunteering must take place in McLennan County.
- Of those 20 hours (15 for 9th graders), no more than 5 hours can be related to school volunteer work.
- Of those 20 hours (15 for 9th graders), no more than 5 hours can be related to church volunteer work.
For example, if you volunteer and document 8 hours worked at an Elementary School carnival and 13 hours worked at your church VBS, ONLY 5 hours from the carnival and 5 hours from your church VBS will count toward this award.
Congressional Award Applicants
Interested in learning more about the Congressional Award for Volunteerism? Your Spirit of Midway work can qualify for this award. Visit the web site at http://www.congressionalaward.org
for more information about how you can earn this prestigious national award!