The McKinney Vento Homeless Assistance Act, reauthorized in January 2002 by the Title X, Part C, of the No Child Left Behind Act, ensures the educational rights and protections for children and youth experiencing homelessness.Homelessness is defined as
For additional information or assistance, please refer to the Student Handbook or contact:Jeanie JohnsonHomeless LiaisonMidway I.S.D13885 Woodway DrWoodway, Texas 76712Phone: 254-761-5610
- having a lack of fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence and includes
- children and youth who are sharing the housing of other persons due to loss of housing, economic hardship, or similar reasons;
- children or youth living in motels, hotels, trailer parks, or camping grounds due to the lack of alternative accommodations; are living in emergency or transitional shelters; are abandoned in hospitals; or are awaiting foster care placement;
- children or youth who have a primary nighttime residence that is a public or private place not designed for or ordinarily used as regular sleeping accommodation for human beings;
- children or youth living in cars, parks, public spaces, abandoned buildings, substandard housing, bus or train stations, or similar settings.