Midway High School will be administering the ASVAB assessment instrument, which is part of the ASVAB Career Exploration Program (CEP) on Friday, February 23rd beginning at 8:10am in the DLC. The ASVAB is open to ALL 10th, 11th, and 12th grade students, and there is no fee for this exam. This test is a valuable tool to help you student with his/her future educational and career plans.
The ASVAB CEP will help your student:
- Learn about themselves and the world of work
- Explore occupations in line with their interests and skills
- Develop an effective strategy to realize their career and educational goals
One of the scores of the ASVAB is the military services’ entrance score which your student can use to explore career options in the military. By no means is your child obligated to military service.
Every student is given the same test items, which includes items that range from very easy to very hard. All test questions are multiple choice. The test consists of the following:
- General Science – 25 test questions on life science, earth and space science, and physical science
- Arithmetic Reasoning – 30 test questions on solving basic arithmetic word problems
- Word Knowledge – 35 test questions on ability to understand the meaning of words through synonyms
- Paragraph Comprehension – 15 test questions on obtaining information from written material
- Mathematics Knowledge – 25 test questions on mathematical concepts and applications
- Electronics Information – 20 test questions on electrical current, circuits, devices, and electronic systems
- Auto and Shop Information – 11 test questions on wood and metal shop practices
- Mechanical Comprehension – 25 test questions on principles of mechanical devices, structural support, and properties of materials
Sample test questions can be found at www.asvabprogram.com.
Any 10th through 12th grade student interested taking this exam can register in the counseling office by Friday, February 9th.