August 17, 2017
The River Valley library has some exciting opportunities in store for students this year:
- We will be promoting the very best fiction reading materials with posters and library displays designed to catch students’ interest.
- Hewitt Public Library has subscribed to TumbleBookLibrary and is offering it to our school. You and your child can access it from home on a computer, tablet or smartphone. You'll have free, unlimited access to this online collection of e-books and animated, talking picture books. I hope you'll take advantage of this great resource.
- We will be doing our very best to get (or keep) students "hooked on reading" by recommending specific reading materials through book trailers, book talks, and a variety of other promotions, programs and contests. Be sure to ask your child next week about the 30 Book Challenge.
- We will add over 300 new titles this year of the latest and most exciting new books for young readers, including quality nonfiction to tie in with curriculum areas of math, science and social studies. Signing up your child for the PTA sponsored birthday book club helps us do this!!
- I will work with classroom teachers to help infuse technology, literature and research skills into all areas of the curriculum.
- Our PTA provides two Scholastic Book Fairs for students and their families. Plan to join your child for lunch during these events and spend time together at the fair.
- We have over 250 eBooks in our collection and will be adding many more this year. These books can be accessed 24/7 from home computers and iPads.
- I will be traveling to Scotland for the fall semester and will be posting a blog to share my experiences. I will visit many of the locales mentioned in the Harry Potter books, will visit the Roald Dahl museum, hunt for "Nessie" and much more. I hope you will encourage your child to travel along with me through books and this blog.
- Judy Payne, the former librarian at the Intermediate campus, will take over at River Valley for the fall semester and I will return in January. We both look forward to working with your child.
I am excited about this coming year and am committed to making the library one of your child's favorite places in the school!
Diane McDaniel, Librarian
River Valley Intermediate School
Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. I would be happy to help.