• The History of Woodway Elementary
     
    May 26, 1947, saw the beginning of an educational era serving the communities of Hewitt, Woodway, and South Bosque. The school boards of the Hewitt Independent School District and the South Bosque Independent School District began a series of meetings to consider the consolidation of these two small schools.
     
    The philosophy of both schools was essentially the same: Every student is entitled to the best education that can be made available. Therefore, the men serving on the two school boards felt the consolidation would provide a more comprehensive education for all students. The first year of operation for the newly formed Midway Independent School District was the 1947-48 school year.
     
    The surrounding communities quickly began to grow. In 1956, due to increased school population, arrangements were made to build an elementary school.
     
    Woodway Elementary was built in its present location, containing six classrooms, a cafeteria, offices, and restrooms. The original elementary was built for a contract amount of $66,911.00. As the communities continued to grow, so did the newly built elementary. During the years 1959, 1964, 1968, 1984, 1989, and 1990, additions and renovations were made to Woodway Elementary.
     
    A celebration was held on November 6, 1996, to celebrate Woodway’s 40th anniversary. Historical data, a videotape, and a registration book were placed in the campus vault to be opened on Woodway’s 50th anniversary in the year 2006.